Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"Storms Don't Kill People--Public Policy Kills People!"

It's interesting that the very same politicians who offer "personal responsibility" as the answer to all societal problems are spinning around this issue and trying to avoid the "blame game." Well, the last time I checked, the game was over and New Orleans lost, and there are bodies lying bloated on the field.

So, I'm not going to "blame" anyone--I'll just say that "Storms Don't Kill People--Public Policy Kills People!" Anyone want to buy a t-shirt?

Katrina, as a natural disaster, is being blamed for all the devastation, but it looks like much of her destruction could have been mitigated if public policy had been informed by unbiased scientific analysis (meaning not forced into shape by corporate and self-interest) . Two larger issues loom in the background here beneath all the spinning--environmental policy, specifically wetlands) and federal funding of critical infrastructure projects to address homeland security issues.

Let's see if the media chooses to examine those issues rather than the compelling and emotional family reunions. I'm guessing a three-hour special on the wetlands is NOT in the works at CNN right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poll Says Schwarzenegger Might Not Be Back
Got a scoop? Email your tips and suggestions to the editor. Premium Blog Ad Blog Ads Classifieds Amazon About The Site Taegan D. Goddard is the creator of Political Wire, a political column updated around the ...
This is a great blog with much good info.
My main interest is genealogy, and I have written a genealogy book which you can find along with many articles at my site. I believe it's the only genealogy book of its kind, dealing specifically with search for noble ancestors.

Anonymous said...

Mom - you're getting comment SPAM, which is the most evil new thing. You can turn on something called "word verification" which should stop it. Look for it in Blogger help. And BUY MY BOOK! :)
love, your daughter

Michael Nolan said...

Cody has a book and I haven't heard about it? Get in touch with me right away, Cody, I work for one of the largest publishers in the world.

It's good that you're coaching your mom about spam of this kind. Hope you're doing well in LA.

I'm too blown away by what's going on to try and make sense of it.