Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 04, 2005

The following email came today and cheered me up tremendously! This young woman was a student of mine several years ago and faced many difficulties simply finishing high school--only one of which was a pregnancy at the age of 12. But, she now can speak very well for herself!

Hello Friends and Family,

As many of you know the week of October 24-30, 2005, I was in Lansing, MI attending the Thomas Cooley Law School qualifying program. The program was very intensive, and I believe the most intellectually challenging task I ever was involved in. There were 31 people in the program from all over. We had people from Jamaica, Africa, LA, Vegas, and many other states from the East to the West Coast. We studied the 7 different intentional torts: battery, assault, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, trespass to chattel, trespass to land, and conversion. In one week, we were taught how to brief a case and use legal analysis to write out the different elements of the law. It was unreal how complex the laws of our land are. We were only studying seven laws, but getting down the format and the language used to make an argument for or against the plaintiff was unlike anything I have ever done. Although the week- long studying was very intensive, it made me want to learn the law even more. We had 3 people leave the program without even notifying the coordinator that they were quitting. It made me feel good that although I was struggling, I stayed the course and gave my best possible effort. So right now I have to wait until the 15th or so, and I will know if I am indeed admitted into Thomas Cooley Law School. In the meanwhile, I am still taking classes for my master's in management and public administration with a gpa of 4.0.

I must say that I truly appreciate all the support that each and everyone of you have given me as I try to make a better future for my daughter and myself. I know that with God's will I will be sending out an email letting everyone know that I have been admitted into law school for 2006, so look for another email from me in the next weeks to come. I hope that everyone is doing well and please if I haven't heard from you in a while drop me a line and let me know how you are doing.

Well, since receiving this email, I'm doing a lot better!

1 comment:

DetroitGirl said...

Check out the English Dept. at Michigan State--Decide first if you want to teach kids or teens. Or if writing is going to be your thing--a journalism degree would be a good thing. If you are really brave, an MFA in Creative Writing -- most writers don't have the guts for this one. Iowa has the best program for this.