Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 22, 2007

More Stuff Finds a Home...

When we moved into our current house, we fully expected to leave "feet first." Now, I am looking forward to a few more adventures.

During the late 80's and early 90's, I shared a loft near the Eastern Market with another painter. Boy, did we have fun! You could throw paint, hang stuff anywhere--leave work laying around...stack stuff up on the windows--which had a great view of the river and Canada--and drag in stuff you found on the streets. It was liberating in every way--even the 6 floors I had to walk up to get there. Very early this morning, in yet another fit of insomnia, I tuned in "Eight Mile," and discovered that the alley and doorway to my old loft appears in the movie. It was thrilling to see it again--the narrow brick street, the antique sink mounted on the outside of the unrestored building. It made me long for the quirky, the unpolished, the authentic. That actually describes how our house looked when we bought it. Odd tiles, strange ceiling treatments, unpolished authenticity. We cleaned it up and restored it, and quite easily resisted the temptation to "hot-tub" it up. We didn't knock down walls or add marble floors. We simply cleaned it up and restored it to its original condition.

I'm not sure I have another big project like this last one in me, but I'm looking for something interesting, as long as I don't have to climb six flights of stairs to get there...

4 comments:

Michael Nolan said...

"Hot-tub it up?" I take exception to that comment.

DetroitGirl said...

In a 1925 Tudor a "hot tub" doesn't work at all. What do you do? Tear out the authentic handmade Pewabic tile? I don't think so. It fits perfectly in a 1980's contemporary--so lighten up!

Michael Nolan said...

I was just ribbing you. I’m not even sure a hot-tub works at all in a 1980s contemporary. Good luck with the sale.

DetroitGirl said...

Wonderful trip--I can't wait to hear much more about it!