Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 07, 2007

All Politics are Local

1200 square feet is supposed to be enough space for two people--but I think they must be very small people who do not have home offices. Right now, my desk is in the master bedroom/loft above the living/dining/kitchen room. The laundry fits in a closet and you can literally put the clean underwear away by taking ONE step backward. It takes 15 minutes to vacuum and the two bathrooms are easily cleaned in 10 mins. My garden is reduced to 5 pots on the terrace and there's no lawn or garden to weed. So what do we do with all this time???? We walk, we eat, we walk some more. Every day is a new adventure. After dinner, we sit on Argo Pond and feed the ducks Zingerman's sourdough bread. We shop like Europeans--daily--and use the local farmer's market. $3.95 a pound for organic tomatoes!!! Yikes! Putting our money where our mouths are...tastes good! Local coffee, local cheese, local wine (not so yucky any more). Michigan strawberries are in already!!!

2 comments:

Eric Edberg said...

I'm not responding so much to this post, as nice as your small apartment and European eating sounds, as to a comment you left a couple years ago at http://mikalinphilly.blogspot.com/2005/02/reinvention.html .

You quoted my much-missed aunt, Ruth Edberg, who was one of my favorite teachers, too, even though I never took a formal class with her. I just happened to Google her name, and your comment was the only thing I found about her.

Thanks for that mention; it was so nice to see someone else remembers her fondly.

--Eric (ericedberg@gmail.com)

DetroitGirl said...

Your Aunt Ruth was the teacher who inspired me to become a teacher. She was the most delightful person. She also is responsible for me meeting my husband, whom she also taught. Our son was born on her birthday. I used to visit her occasionally in Ferndale and tried to get her out to lunch once in a while. My husband and I visited her when she was in St. Josephs just before she died. I think I still have a picture of her and my college roommate has all the notes from our humanities class at Groves in 1966! Weren't we lucky to have known her?