Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Huron River


One of the really wonderful things about living in Ann Arbor is the Huron River and how much of its banks are totally accesible and not lined with multi-million dollar condos. How did they resist the developer's sweet talk? Good government, that's how. And I'm not afraid to say it. Those who hate government by policy--do so because it seeks to block them from exercising what they call "freedoms." Yeah...freedom to be a greedy slimeball. Freedom to destroy neighborhoods, suck the life out of small towns, devastate the environment. Somehow, the good people of Ann Arbor make their government work for them. We have a great transportation system, more parks were square mile than most small cities, recycling, and public services that seem to work most of the time. Progressives and liberals run this place and it stands as a model to how good government can work when the community's needs are put ahead of ideology.

2 comments:

Michael Nolan said...

Yay! You’re blogging again. I dropped by just to see if maybe you were and was rewarded with 5 posts I hadn’t read.

Now as for your undecidedness in the election, read The Audacity of Hope. I think it may help you decide.

DetroitGirl said...

I am trying to blog again, although it's hard to think of what to write at times.

I was only undecided by the primary...the general election is a lay down. I'm worried, though...I imagine all kinds of dirty tricks the other side knows how to play.