Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 31, 2006

You know you're upper middle class when. . .


  1. You have to call your massage therapist because you lost your appointment card and you forgot to put the appointment in your calendar.
  2. You have a closet for just your winter clothes.
  3. Leftovers consist of seared tuna and arugela salad.
  4. It bothers you to carry a black purse while wearing tan sandals.
  5. Bush's grammar faux pas make your skin crawl.
  6. You use phrases like "faux pas."
  7. Your hairdresser calls your cell phone when you are late for a cut.
  8. You worry that the newly installed copper gutters aren't turning verdi gris fast enough.
  9. You know exactly what color "verdi gris" is.

7 comments:

Michael Nolan said...

This was very funny and made me laugh out loud. You know you're upper middle class when you're aare there's a chemical that can make things turn verdi gris faster. I was on a verdi gris kick awhile back where I tried to turn everything I could to verdi gris: lamps, door handles, hinges, and more. There's even copper paint you can buy that you paint the items with and then apply the verdi gris chemical. Don't get started; you won't know when to quit.

DetroitGirl said...

I needed a good life and often laughing at oneself does wonders! Would that it were longer lasting! You know you're upper middle class when you say things like "would that it were..."

Michael Nolan said...

"would that it were" I felt secure about remaining upper middle class.

DetroitGirl said...

I meant "a good laugh," but anyway...there's something very compelling about faded splendor--we might just stay here while things crumble around us--like Lady Havesham did.

Erik Donald France said...

VERY right on and very funny, slips included (syncronicity -- I was just reading about Miss H. allusions in *The Lonely Doll,* or rather in a bio. of the author, Dare Wright, earlier today). Also, ever read Paul Fussell's *Class : A Guide Through the American Status System*? I bet you'd like it. And from that, you seem more like an "x" person than upper middle class (this is a compliment ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi DetroitGirl,
I've come across your site while Googling for info on "The Marshmallow Experiment".
Ummmmm, I just felt compelled to let you know that you have used the wrong "your" in the heading for this post... It made me chuckle as you say you are an English teacher. (BTW. I am a teacher in training from Australia). It should be YOU'RE, shouldn't it?

Anonymous said...

yer right, by golly! Too much time spend editing my students' papers!