Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Flag Burning or Flag Waving??

Do we really need a constitutional amendment to tell us how to be patriotic? I find it ironic that the very people who have actively and cheerfully dismantled our democracy and destroyed any government "for the people" want to propose that people be prosecuted for burning the flag. These political hacks should be villified for waving flags while promoting unjust labor policies, preemptive wars, and environmental devastation worldwide. But I guess this is what our flag stands for now--it's a symbol that is now held hostage by mega-corporate interests. These same politicians have no problem when the Nascar crowd bundles up in flag jackets and red, white, and blue striped capri pants. Next time I'm at the track, I think I'll light my capri pants on fire and see what happens.

7 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Hey DG! I agree ~~ they've been pulling this stunt forever. Hot button politics for the election spin cycle. If flags were public property like greenbacks, it'd be one thing. But they aren't. What a waste of Congressional (and public) time. Cheers, Erik

Michael Nolan said...

Yes, and they spent two days debating this folderol, more time than they spent on the resolution to withdraw troops from Iraq. Watching our country go down the tubes like this is akin to Chinese water torture.

Anonymous said...

The Chinese water torture can help put out DG's burning capri pants.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I already work in an overcrowded state prison system. Perhaps, the federal prisons have vacancies for all these flag burners. --Jim

ZZZZZZZ said...

the patriot act is anything but patriotic. Totally a waste of time. My boyfriends cousin is overseas and here they are arguing about someone burning a flag. what the hell!

Tha Holiday said...

To me that flag is a reminder of the blood shed on behalf of this country by myself and other veterans. That flag is the final respect given a soldier at their funeral. To disrespect it is a slap in the face to the memory of every man, woman, and child that has died defending this country.

DetroitGirl said...

So your definition limits my freedom? What kind of democracy is that?