Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Keep on Rockin'


While cleaning the attic yesterday, I finally found the pictures of the very first Rolling Stones concert in Detroit. It was 1965--Olympia Stadium. I was in the 2nd row and there were only around 300 people there. Six months later, they "blew up"-- as they say these days. Anyway, the most interesting thing about one picture is the police officer in the foreground. He looks bored. I guess he never imagined that 40 years later Mick Jagger would still be rockin'--

5 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

I'm jealous! Wow! Awesome! First time I got to see the Stones was in 1978, Some Girls tour. I did get some good photos in Philly in 1981. There's a history teacher at ULS who saw them in 1965, too, I think he said in Wisconsin, though. Lucky :->

I saw that Keith Ricahrds is on the mend and they're back on world tour again. I have a story about Marianne Faithfull's husband Nick Dunbar, but I'll save it for a blog post ;) Cheers ~~ Erik : GREAT PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DetroitGirl said...

I'm glad I found them, then and perhaps I'll post another down the road a piece.

JR's Thumbprints said...

What a cool picture! Wish I had it. Still wish the Super Bowl Committe would've chosen a Detroit line-up of entertainers for the half-time show, instead of the Stones. --Jim

DetroitGirl said...

Me, too. It would have been awesome--open with an Iggy and Aretha duet--"Respect," of course. Throw in Martha and the Vandellas and Patti Smith doing "Dancin' in the Street." Add the Four Tops, White Stripes and Kid Rock singing "What's Goin' On." Then let Em come out and everyone can join in with "Lose Yourself." I should have been a producer. . .

Erik Donald France said...

Hilarious! You should be a producer, indeed ;) Ever thought of creating a book of annotated Detroit photos? That would be way cool.

~~Erik